Thursday, April 19, 2012

Rhetorical Analysis of Place

For this blog post, I chose to analyze the bus stop at Blackburn house. Recently, I have been spending a lot of time at this stop, because it is where I wait for the bus to go to my job at CABS. It is a very interesting place to be, and often quite entertaining. It is a major stop for the students on north campus, and is along the route of 5 out of the 7 CABS loops, as well as a few COTA loops. Needless to say, this is a very busy place on campus, especially at about 5 o'clock, when I usually wait there.

The place itself is nothing too special. Just a wide sidewalk intersection, a crosswalk across Woody Hayes Drive, and a fairly large covered bus stop, with a bench capable of seating 10ish people. But this bus stop is a pretty neat place to be. Personally, I really enjoy "people watching". This is prime location for this. There are so many people coming and going in each direction, whether they are walking by or waiting for a bus. Each person with their own agenda. Some may be headed out to west campus to get in their cars and head home, others are going out to Buckeye village, others may be going to class. But no matter where they are going, each of these commuters passes through this bus stop. This is one thing that all of these people have in common.

I like to think of this on a bigger scale. We can imagine The Ohio State University to be one big bus stop. Just a place where people are temporarily, to help them get to where they are going. People come from other states, other countries, or just right down the road. They come here, stay for a while, then move on with their life. OSU is just a big stepping stone in peoples lives, much like a bus stop is just a stepping stone in a commuter's travels. But no matter where these people are from, or where they plan on going, they have this one thing in common; they are at The Ohio State University. OSU can be pictured as one big bus stop.

8 comments:

  1. I think it's unique and quite funny that you mentioned the bus stop at blackburn. Your are so correct because I actually wait for the bus stop very often when I need to get to south campus. Do you drive the CAB bus ? or do you work behind a desk or something ? I like your perspective on how you classified Ohio State as one big bus stop.

    -Shaniqua <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually work on the service crew for all the CABS vehicles, like the buses, Paratransit vans, etc. I will eventually start driving, but there is an extensive training process that I have to go through first.

      Delete
  2. I really like your rhetoric about the OSU being a big bus stop, where people come and go, and this college experience is like a stepping stone in our life. well done!~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too enjoy people watching it can be really intersting sometimes. Your metaphor for a bus stop being like Ohio State is very intersting, i've never thought of college like that but its so true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting that you wrote about a bus stop because as a student I spend a lot of time there, but do not really think about it. Your thoughts about OSU being a bus stop in life is really great. I think all people can understand and relate to this analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your blog! I am not an observant person, so I never realized how different people act at bus stops. And I was impressed by the way you compared a bus stop with Ohio State as a stepping stone! Your blog indeed provided a new prospect for me to observe everything while waiting for a bus now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a commuting student I have ridden the CABS buses many times at least twice a day. I like the idea that OSU is one big bus stop in our lives I never would have thought of OSU like that but it really makes sense. How do you like working for CABS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like my job there. It is a very relaxed environment, and my working schedule is very flexible. Also, they pay for your training and for your CDL certification, which would be pretty expensive if you did it independently. It is a really good place to work. Also, they're pretty much always hiring, so if you're looking for a job it's a great place to look.

      Delete